There are only a few tools that I think are on the can’t-live-without list in terms of home improvement. I’m adding the Dremel Multi-Max to that list.
After a little research, we got one of these bad boys from Amazon to help us with the downstairs bathroom remodel, and I’m really glad we did. There are a few different models, but the one we purchased is the Multi-Max MM20. We purchased it specifically to handle the flooring situation in downstairs bathroom (more on that here). We needed something that could break up the grout in the on just a few tiles without tearing up the other tiles.
It came with a few blades for different tasks but not the grout blade that we needed. We had to buy the grout blade separately; it was a bank breaker at around $10. The tool itself is pretty straight forward. Insert the correct blade, tighten the nut, set the speed and go.
I was surprised to see that the blade doesn’t actually rotate, it just vibrates. So really, it almost sands the grout down, turning it into a fine powder, rather than really cutting through it. Still it works! I put the blade on the Dremel and ran it over the grout a few times. It probably took about 30 mins to completely remove the grout from the two pieces of tile that we needed (a total of 4 grout lines). It would probably take an experienced person a lot less time, but since this was my first time using it and I really had no idea what might happen, I cautioned on the side of slow. After removing the grout from the tile, I simply popped them up with a flat head screw driver. And we were done with that. Bam! Of course, then came the task of removing the thin-set.
I’ll be honest, we weren’t exactly sure how to get this up, but it needed to be removed before we could replace the tile. If it were a larger area, we might have rented a grinder from Home Depot or Lowe’s, but this was such a small area.
So we bought **name** remover from Lowe’s. We hoped it would soften the thin-set enough to just scrape it off, but in Here Lately fashion that didn’t happen.
I had to wipe up the remover and just break the thin set with a crowbar and a hammer. Wasn’t that bad, took me around 20 mins not counting all the times I stopped to mumble a few choice words on how I hate doing this sort of thing. (There is a grinding tool for the Dremel for this sort of thing, but the unsuccessful *** remover soaked so far in that it was all kind of wet (and yet still hard as a rock) so we didn’t want to risk gumming up the grinder.)
Really that’s the only reason we bought the Dremel. We knew we could use it to remove the grout in this bathroom, and also remove and repair the cracked grout in our master bathroom. Then we found another use for it. I love getting my money’s worth! We decided to remove the torn up drywall near the floor. You can see it here:
Our Dremel came with a drywall cutting blade, so we decided to test it out. I used a level to make an even line on the wall right above where the drywall stopped being a hot mess.
Using the drywall blade was fairly easy. I just turned it on and followed the line, and then used my hand to pull it off the wall.
Thankfully, the blade extends far enough past the drywall to cut through it, but not really far enough to cut anything behind it. It was much easier than doing it by hand with a drywall saw.
So, that’s where we stand with the bathroom. We have holes in the walls and on the floor. Ah, progress. We have a plumber coming to look at that pipe today, to see if it can be recessed into the wall or if we’re stuck with it. Blair did start removing the wallpaper over the weekend. You won’t believe the situation which that has become! But I’ll let her fill you in on that in another post.